- To effectively manage the financial, marketing and commercial activities of the railway
- To provide leadership, vision and staff motivation to the railway's commercial staff and volunteers and create an environment that provides a quality experience for visitors to the railway and volunteer staff
- To promote the future development of the company.
Example daily duties include:
- Working with the Visitor, Events and Marketing Manager to create the annual marketing plan
- Preparing periodic reports of the accounts, cash flow and forecasts
- Responsibility for paid staff recruitment, training, discipline, pension arrangements and record keeping
- Compiling the short, medium and long term business plan in conjunction with the company board.
- Responsibility for ticket sales, reservations and passenger control arrangements
- Working with the Shop and Caf?? teams to develop and stimulate sales
- Attending relevant meetings and develop relationships with local councils / chambers of commerce and others to promote and develop the business of the railway
The job is based on an average working week of 40 hours. The Bodmin & Wenford Railway is a seasonally variable business and the Commercial Manager must (in accordance with the Working Time Directive) adjust their attendance days and working hours to meet the variable demands of the business including weekends and evenings as required.
Applicants should have:
- Relevant qualifications/experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Project management and coordination skills
- Heritage sector (or similar) experience
- Proven experience in a commercial area showing flair and vision for business development.
- A record of marketing a customer-centred business with volunteer support.