Energy Consultant (Technical)
GreenJobs - The Carbon Trust
Energy Consultant (Technical)
Contract Term: Permanent, Full or Part time considered
Location: Cardiff, with travel across Wales and the UK; possibly some international travel (infrequent)
Closing date: 18th November 2018
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the role:
We are seeking an Energy Consultant with technical expertise in one or more of the following fields:
• Non-domestic energy efficiency
• Renewable energy - in particular, experience with wind and solar power
• Heat networks
This role would suit professionals with experience in client facing energy consultancy roles, a background in an engineering or practical project management experience to support delivery of projects.
The Carbon Trust's mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. We are independent experts on carbon reduction and resource efficiency, who reinvest surpluses from group commercial activities into our mission.
The Carbon Trust provides innovative advice to governments and businesses around the world to support the global transition to a low carbon economy. We work closely with decision makers and implementers in key institutions in the UK and across multiple emerging and developing countries on low-carbon finance, programmes, policy and technology.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Deliver high quality technical consultancy services on energy efficiency and renewable energy topics, in particular to public sector clients in Wales;
• Develop, manage and maintain excellent client relationships; establish client drivers and needs in relation to the low carbon and local energy agenda to inform and influence strategic energy activities;
• Manage energy efficiency and renewable energy projects across key stages of project development, including:
• Identifying new opportunities, including through data analysis and undertaking energy surveys and technical assessments of buildings, estates and asset reviews
• Undertaking feasibility studies of both energy efficiency and renewable energy opportunities (such as CHP, heating and building services upgrades, solar PV (both roof mounted and land based), and wind energy
• Providing targeted technical advice and support during procurement and installation (including for energy performance contract projects)
• Undertaking measurement and verification post implementation to verify savings
• Identify new and innovative decarbonisation opportunities, to build a multi-year pipeline of projects for clients;
• Support clients in developing business cases for projects;
• Support Carbon Trust business development activities and revenue generation.
Key skills we are looking for:
• Organised and efficient with excellent project management and project delivery skills;
• Excellent client management skills, applying a high standard of interpersonal skills to build client relationships and influence stakeholders;
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral), with the ability to present technical information in a clear and concise format, suitable for non-specialists;
• Excellent problem solving skills;
• Highly numerate with good Excel skills;
• Ability to lead client meetings and workshop sessions;
• Ability to work effectively in a complex team environment and to take initiative and deliver projects independently when required.
Qualifications and experience:
• Degree calibre - qualified in a relevant energy, engineering and/or science discipline (essential);
• Significant work experience as an energy consultant / project engineer (essential);
• Significant experience of providing technical consultancy services on buildings and estate wide energy efficiency or renewable energy topics (essential);
• Ability to build and manipulate energy models using MS Excel, and develop technical reports / business cases in MS Word / PowerPoint (essential);
• Ability to communicate technical information fluently (both written and spoken) in English (essential);
• Membership of a relevant professional institution e.g. CIBSE, Energy Institute (desirable);
• Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP) (desirable)
• Experience of, or significant insight into, barriers and drivers affecting public and private sector bodies in tackling climate change (desirable);
• Insight into carbon and energy policy in Wales, the UK and internationally (desirable);
• Ability to identify and support business development opportunities (desirable);
• Full driving licence (desirable);
• Welsh speaking (desirable).
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a performance based bonus. Our hours are 37.5 per week with 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a generous pension scheme.
Our head office is in London, close to Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, we offer travel card loans, a cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, company away days and a 24-hour Employee Assistance Helpline.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us please follow the link to our application page.
We are an equal opportunities employer, value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on your skills and experience. We can only accept applications from those who can prove their eligibility to work in the UK. No agencies or publications.
PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPLYING TO THIS ROLE