Product Manager - Energy & Environment
GreenJobs - The National Physical Laboratory (NPL)
Product Manager - Energy & Environment
Advertising End Date:12 Nov 2018
About the Role
The UKs National Physical Laboratory (NPL) sits at the intersection between scientific discovery and real world application. One of the top three National Measurement Institutes (NMIs) in the world, our expertise and original research have benefited UK citizens and the UK economy for over a century.
NPL's Energy and Environment research is paving the way to a cleaner future by supporting the decarbonisation of the energy sector, helping to cement the UK's lead in atmospheric and air quality measurements, enabling safe and cost-effective nuclear decommissioning and waste disposal, and providing confidence in data on the climate, greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution. Our cutting edge products and services underpin the UK's prosperity and quality of life, addressing real industry needs.
As a Product Manager, you will own, define and provide leadership throughout the product lifecycle for a portfolio of Energy and Environment products and services, prioritising those for development that are of high impact and commercial value and which deliver market leading solutions. Current products and services in this area include measurement services, training, consultancy and instrumentation sales from the following NPL science areas: Emissions and Atmospheric Metrology; Gas and Particle Metrology; Nuclear Metrology, and; Earth Observation, Climate and Optical.
You will ensure that NPLs New Product Introduction (NPI) activity is embedded, that new products and services are created from the underpinning science base in response to robust evidence of industry need and that they are commercialised as quickly and effectively as possible.
Working as part of the Product Management team, you will:
• Use NPL's NPI process to identify and select opportunities for the development of new, high value or high impact services. You will work with colleagues across the business and in external markets to develop those products and take them to market
• Have shared financial targets for growing NPL's business (revenue and margin) from the introduction of a pipeline of new products, developed out of the research activities of NPL and our collaborators
• Gain a deep understanding of customer and stakeholder needs in industry and identify technologies within the NPL research programmes that meet those needs
• Develop novel business models for product delivery as part of detailed business cases for new products
• Use industry, Government and other high level business strategies to inform the selection of new services to meet the grand challenges defined in those strategies
• Act as the voice of the customer throughout the product lifecycle to ensure that new services deliver the greatest possible benefit to NPL's customers and maximum impact for NPL
• Champion the NPI process across the business, providing facilitation and guidance to technical and management teams and enable the wider adoption of those practices across the business
• Work with NPL's sales and marketing teams to take new services to market, developing suitable channels to target segments and supporting multi-media sales collateral material
• Develop personal networks with customers and stakeholders in target markets and use those networks to capture market needs for new services as well as obtaining feedback on their experience of existing NPL services to inform future enhancements.
• Commercial skills including strong understanding of operational business revenue, cost drivers, and ROI
• Experience of working in the Energy and Environment sector (e.g. environmental monitoring, nuclear power/decommissioning, chemical processing, oil & gas).
• Skilled in designing new products and services from scratch with sound knowledge of different product design methodologies, managing products from concept to in-market exploitation.
• Promotes a strong focus on the needs of customers and partners
• Skilled at working effectively across teams, both internally - science, marketing, sales, legal and externally - with global channel intermediaries and product delivery partners.Experienced at leading the transformation of services to users, moving to a digital approach whenever possible
• A strong and clear communicator. Confident working with technical and non-technical audiences with a variety of stakeholders at different levels of seniority and knowledge.
• Using data analysis to measure the effectiveness and efficiency of launched products and services
• Outstanding problem solving, time management, decision making and people influencing skill.
• A degree in Science or Engineering is preferred.
About The Company
NPL has a regional footprint with hubs around the UK, plans for international growth and a state-of-the art purpose-built laboratory in Teddington, south west London, where its scientists and engineers work with leading edge equipment and facilities.
In line with significant organisational growth and transformation plans, NPL has a clear vision "to be an exemplary National Laboratory that undertakes excellent science and engineering and uses this to deliver extraordinary impact for the UK". We also clearly define our mission "to provide the measurement capability that underpins the UK's prosperity and quality of life".
Please Mention The GreenJobs Network of Websites When Applying to this role