Renewable Energy Consultant
GreenJobs - The Carbon Trust
Renewable Energy Consultant
Contract Term: Permanent
Location: Base office: Cardiff, with travel across the UK; possibly some international travel (infrequent)
Closing date: 18th November 2018
About the role:
We are seeking a Consultant with expertise in the development of renewable energy projects. In particular, we are looking candidates that have significant technical and/or commercial expertise across some or all of the following areas:
• Track record and experience of working with renewable energy generation (in particular solar PV and wind - land based / building mounted)
• Experience identifying and scoping projects, and undertaking feasibility assessments
• Project development (planning, grid connection etc.)
• Financial / commercial appraisal of projects
• Procurement experience (including public sector)
• Client / stakeholder management
The Carbon Trust's mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. We are independent experts on carbon reduction and resource efficiency, who reinvest surpluses from group commercial activities into our mission.
The Carbon Trust provides innovative advice to governments and businesses around the world to support the global transition to a low carbon economy. We work closely with decision makers and implementers in key institutions in the UK and across multiple emerging and developing countries on low-carbon finance, programmes, policy and technology.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Deliver high quality consultancy services on renewable energy topics, in particular to public sector clients;
• Develop, manage and maintain excellent client relationships; establish client drivers and needs in relation to the low carbon agenda to inform, influence and overcome barriers to strategic renewable energy activities;
• In conjunction with our technical team, manage renewable energy projects across key stages of project development.
• Identifying new opportunities, through strong partnership working and stakeholder engagement;
• Working closely with clients, partners and our technical team to identify key steps to bring projects to fruition, and helping clients to take those steps;
• Taking the outputs of technical reviews and feasibility studies and developing them into high quality business cases;
• Supporting clients in navigating client approval processes to progress projects and secure organisational buy in;
• Support clients in identifying project delivery routes, and assist them in identifying potential funding streams;
• Engaging and influencing senior level decision makers to commit to implementing and financing decarbonisation projects;
• Supporting procurement of projects including establishing procurement channels, developing specifications / invitation to tender (ITT) documentation, guiding clients through a procurement process (specific expertise regarding procurement of large scale projects desirable);
• Providing ad-hoc involved project management support to clients on a case-by-case basis.
• Identify new and innovative decarbonisation opportunities, to build a multi-year pipeline of projects for clients;
• Support Carbon Trust business development activities and revenue generation.
Key skills we are looking for:
• Organised and efficient with excellent project management skills;
• Strong technical/commercial skills, and track record of successful project delivery;
• Excellent client management and stakeholder engagement skills, applying a high standard of interpersonal skills to build client relationships and influence stakeholders;
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral), with the ability to present technical information in a clear and concise format, suitable for non-specialists;
• Highly numerate with good Excel skills;
• Ability to develop a strong business case for investment in energy efficiency or renewable energy projects;
• Ability to lead client meetings and workshop sessions;
• Problem solving and identification/specification of solutions;
• Ability to work effectively on multiple concurrent projects in a complex team environment, including as a project team member and as project leader, taking initiative and delivering projects independently when required.
Qualifications and experience:
• Degree calibre - qualified in a relevant energy, engineering, science or business discipline (essential);
• Previous client facing experience, in consultancy, project management or project development for renewable energy projects (essential);
• Ability to build and manipulate commercial models for renewable energy using MS Excel, and develop business cases in MS Word / PowerPoint (essential);
• Ability to communicate technical information fluently (both written and spoken) in English (essential);
• Experience of delivering projects through public and private sector approvals processes and business case stages (desirable);
• Good understanding of renewable energy procurement processes, including public sector (desirable);
• Insight into carbon and energy policy in Wales, the UK and internationally (desirable);
• Experience of developing energy efficiency projects (desirable);
• Ability to identify and support business development opportunities (desirable);
• Membership of a relevant professional institution (desirable);
• Full driving licence (desirable);
• Welsh speaking (desirable).
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a performance based bonus. Our hours are 37.5 per week with 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a generous pension scheme.
Our head office is in London, close to Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, we offer travel card loans, a cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, company away days and a 24-hour Employee Assistance Helpline.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us please follow the link to our application page.
We are an equal opportunities employer, value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on your skills and experience. We can only accept applications from those who can prove their eligibility to work in the UK. No agencies or publications.
PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPLYING TO THIS ROLE